Member Engagement Coordinator
Established in 1991, the Matthews Chamber of Commerce promotes advocacy, education, and networking resources for business growth and community involvement. We provide members with opportunities for networking, professional development, business advancement, and economic growth.
The Matthews Chamber of Commerce staff work in a highly collaborative, close-knit environment and:
- Engage with members daily to understand and advance their business objectives;
- Host small and large events that bring together organizational leaders and customers for conversation and business development;
- Showcase the success stories and innovative endeavors of the local business community;
- Measure and report on the health and trends of the Matthews business community.
The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for:
- Interacts often and professionally with Members to understand and program to their business interests; connects them to other business leaders with similar interests and needs; assures Chamber membership is an invaluable resource;
- Plans, organizes, and executes community-events that connect Chamber member-organizations with business-development opportunities, including the Healthy Living Expo (April), the Matthews Chamber Golf Tournament (May), the Auto Reunion & Motorcycle Show (September), Fall for Matthews (October), the Annual Holiday Gala (January), and the Matthews Chamber Leadership Institute (October – May); plans and executes polished marketing and promotional activities in a timely manner to assure the general public and Chamber Members are aware of and attend events of interest;
- With the Executive Director, recruits volunteers from Chamber member-organizations to provide hands-on support of community events in such areas as planning, sponsor recruitment, vendor recruitment, event management, and marketing;
- Successfully matches area businesses with Chamber event-sponsorship opportunities, assuring sponsors receive all agreed upon benefits and visibility;
- With the Administrative Assistant, produces important documents including event-sponsorship invoices; assures all documents are accurate, complete, and created in a timely manner; communicates effectively to assure on-time payment of all event-sponsorship invoices.
Outreach and Promotion
- Plans and executes community outreach and event promotion for digital communications, print advertising, and other media as available; manages photography and videography professionals to capture images and stories that amplify the value of the Chamber’s events;
- With the Executive Director, produces clear messaging and eye-catching visuals that effectively capture the public’s interest in and inspire the public’s attendance of the Chamber’s community events;
- With the Executive Director and vendors, effectively maintains the Chamber’s website to promote upcoming community events and showcase their success.
- Contributes to the long-term financial viability of the Chamber by understanding the organization’s financial needs and, with the Executive Director, successfully meeting the annual budget goals;
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Skills and Experience
- 2-year Associates Degree required
- 3+ years’ experience in nonprofit management, events management, graphic design, marketing, and/or public relations required
- Demonstrated success in customer-service and cash-handling experience required
- Proficiency in Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Photoshop/Adobe InDesign/Illustrator, and social media platforms required
- Experience with database or CRM software preferred
- Demonstrated success as a communicator using verbal, written, and graphics skills
- Demonstrated ability as a proofreader, with careful attention to detail
- Capable of working successfully with minimal supervision
- Success as a highly collaborative team member
- Must maintain a dependable car with valid insurance and driver’s license
The Community Engagement Coordinator typically:
- sits at a desk for extended periods of time;
- may stand for periods of 3 hours or more;
- uses repetitive arm, hand, wrist, and finger movements in typing and working with a computer;
- Frequently stands, walks, stoops, kneels, and crouches;
- Uses close vision to focus on reading/proofreading materials and to work with a computer;
- Lifts boxes, office supplies, etc. weighing up to 30 pounds.
The Community Engagement Coordinator generally:
- works in a climate-controlled indoor environment;
- Is able to work productively in a noisy or distracting environment;
- Is adaptable to working closely with other staff and volunteers.
REPORTS TO the Executive Director
- Variable, based on event schedule
- 20-25 hours per week
Job Type: Part-time
Please email cover letter and resume to Jessica Tullar, firstname.lastname@example.org.